Blood Orange Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- 3 tbsp Olive Gourmet Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1-20 ounces can crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tsp Olive Gourmet Galega Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or other fruity, mild/medium intensity oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 Maraschino cherries, cut in half (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.Mix 3 tsp blood orange olive oil with brown sugar and water pour into a 9” round cake pan and spread covering the bottom. Arrange pineapple and cherries (if using) in the pan. Set aside.In mixing bowl, stir dry ingredients. Add milk. Stir in 3 Tbsp Galega Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until combined and batter has a creamy consistency. Spoon batter over fruit in the cake pan.Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. When cake is cooled, loosen cake from sides of pan, place plate on top of cake and invert cake onto plate. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.